Swan started out small. Its original incarnation, Basildon Community Housing Association (BCHA), started life by managing homes transferred to it in Basildon by the Commission For New Towns. BCHA’s logo happened to be a Swan. In the late 1980s, the government was pushing the idea of tenant choice; tenants in New Towns could elect to go with the local authority or move to an independent landlord. The Commission for New Towns transferred around 2,000 homes to Basildon Community Housing Association in 1994 and that is where our story begins. We now have over 10,600 homes and 22,500 residents.
How is Swan helping regenerate Craylands?
The Craylands and Fryerns project will regenerate the estate both socially, economically and physically. The physical regeneration of the estate will provide improved transport links; with a regular bus service, whilst also providing new mixed tenure housing for current and future residents. As the developer on the scheme, Swan works in partnership with the residents, Homes and Communities Agency and Basildon Borough Council. In addition to transforming the physical appearance of the estate, the main focus of this partnership is on the residents and supporting groups already in the community. Swan has also been involved in new initiatives ranging from assisting community groups to start internet cafes to arranging trained support to help residents quit smoking.
Why has Swan been chosen to work on Craylands?
Swan was chosen to work on the scheme by the Homes and Communities Agency (formally English Partnerships) and Basildon Borough Council. As a registered social landlord which has a long history of developing and managing housing stock in the district, Swan’s local knowledge, track record of high quality design delivery and understanding of the area was a key reason for selection.
Swan Housing aims to support residents in a variety of ways, including :-
- Providing a programme of workshops to help local residents gain new skills.
- Community chest grants to local groups and schools, to start new or maintain existing projects.
- Providing groups and clubs with equipment.
- Getting involved with the community, by providing weekly football training session as part of youth diversion programme for young people on the estate
Our mission is to work with like minded organisations to establish an effective and optimum sized local social housing provider.
Swan Housing Group sees its mission as:
- Placing the needs of our residents first
- Provide high quality and well managed homes which are affordable
- Helping communities to grow and prosper
- Striving for excellence in all that we do